Dear Seniors

A letter to the graduating class of 2020

Dear Class of 2020,

Most of us by now know what we are missing: no assassins, no prom, no alternate transportation day, and no graduation. The things we’ve looked forward to for years have been taken away from us. While this affects some of us more than others, we all know that our senior year will not have the happy ending we’ve been thinking about since August.

We all want our last week of high school, we want our moment to be recognized for the 13 years of school and hard work we’ve done to get to this point. We want our final moments to spend with our class before we go our separate ways.

To our spring sport athletes, it’s heartbreaking to think about never putting on another Seaman High uniform and spending your last season with your teammates. To our girls basketball team that never got the chance to prove that this was your season, it’s been amazing seeing how well you’ve handled hearing the worst news in the world, and to us you are state champions. To our seniors involved with the spring musical, we would have loved to see you all do what you love for the last time. Every moment that was still to come that we do not get to experience has made an impact on us all.

We reflect on our years of high school and hope for the best. We think back to freshman year, and the homecoming assembly joke that we are now the last class to have heard. We think about the seniors running through the hallways, scaring us all, and how excited we were to be able to do the same in four years. We think about the first day of sophomore year and how crazy it was to be on the “big kid” side of the school. We think about these times and how we were so excited to be seniors, and now we wish more than anything that we weren’t, and we could have these final moments together.

So from one senior to another, I feel for you. I feel the same way that you do about all of this. I wish more than anything that the world could go back to normal for a few months to share these lasts with you all. I am honored to be a part of such a wonderful class that I know can get through this.