Rule 52 requires cooperation

Catching Zs: The theme for the basketball game against Shawnee Heights is Christmas Pajamas. The Vikings prevailed to win the game, 51-45.

Mya Kramer

Catching Z’s: The theme for the basketball game against Shawnee Heights is Christmas Pajamas. The Vikings prevailed to win the game, 51-45.

The referee’s whistle blows, the band recedes from playing, and hundreds of emphatic fans begin to scream, as the basketball is thrown up to start the game. These are sounds one would hear at the typical high school basketball game. Nothing makes a high school game better than the traditions that come along with the games. One of those traditions is the spirited student section.

Having a large student section can mean kids getting a little on the rowdy side. This brings us to how student sections should act throughout the state. “As announced before most home games, the basis for our enforcement of rules during basketball games is Rule 52 of the KSHSAA handbook. We are yet to have any infractions of the rule this year,” said Principal Mike Monaghan.

The rule has multiple parts to it; however, it mainly focuses on behavior and sportsmanship before, during, and after any game. It states anything from how hospitable the home team cheerleaders should be, to demonstrating what good self-control looks like.

Administrator roles in monitoring students differ from district to district.  At U.S.D. 345, two administrators stand at the bottom two corners of the student section. Monaghan insists that, “It is not to punish students. We are there only to try and help prevent students from entering the court of play.” Being at our sporting events are special all in their own, due to how much school spirit the student body, and community share.

We as administrators love being near the students too. It makes us feel engaged, as we are allowed to interact with, as well as talk to our students about the exciting game.

— Mr. Mike Monaghan

Students should know that they are not being punished by administration when they enforce these rules, as they are trying to make a safe and fun environment for everyone.

“Our students should know that they have done an absolutely fantastic job and that we really appreciate their continued support,” says Monaghan. “We also admire the respect you all show towards officials, players, and other schools. It makes it easy for me to be able to enjoy the games due to our students.”