XC Runner, Ryin Miller, Breaks the School Record as a Freshman

Last cross country season (2022) freshman Ryin Miller broke the girls 5k cross country record by 18 seconds during the city meet at Washburn Rural with a time of 18.40 and yet again during the regional meet at Kanza with a time of 18.36. 

Miller stated that she felt happy to finally get a school record.

“It felt really good because in middle school, I was two seconds off the record, so it felt nice to get it this time,” said Miller. 

All of her teammates, coaches, and parents were super encouraging leading up to her breaking the record.

“They were super encouraging before I broke it because they knew I wanted [the school record] since I came up short in middle school,” said Miller 

She started doing cross country to stay in shape for soccer and adds that she likes the team setting. Additionally, Miller states that the best part about cross country is being with the team. 

“They were all super nice and welcoming. The seniors were amazing and I’m going to miss them,” expressed Miller. 

The 2022 girls cross country season was one of the best seasons the school has seen in a long time. They started off with a close second place team finish in Manhattan, a first place finish at the Joe Schrag Invitational, the Seaman Invitational, the competitive UKC Conference, and the regional meet, then a fourth place finish at the State meet with Miller leading the way for the team all season. 

With being the only freshman on the team this season she adds, “to the people who thought about doing cross country but didn’t, you should do it next year.”