Career closet created to benefit students

Junior Nathan Soriano searches through the new career closet for an outfit for his upcoming interview. (Photo by Jacob Wildeman)

The job interview of a lifetime is today. Students from around the school are waking from a restless sleep. They have been preparing for weeks and now the only thing left to do is get dressed; however, some students don’t have any professional attire.

The answer to these student problems has been solved by Internship coordinator Mrs. Gita Noble and Success 101 teacher Mr. Daniel Ruda with the creation of a career closet.

The idea first started last semester when Mr. Ruda read a tweet about the Kansas State University career center collecting professional clothes for students to use.

“Mr. Ruda saw a need for this after learning that the K-State career center was collecting business clothes for their students,” said Mrs. Noble, “and we thought there would be a need for something like this at our school.”

Since then emails were sent out to district personnel asking for gently used professional attire. Many teachers and administrators answered this email wanting to help.

“We had a great response and started organizing clothes over Winter Break,” said Mr. Ruda.

The career closet is now in full swing and is available for all Seaman students located in Mrs. Noble’s room, C4. The intent is that students will utilize the closet for different occasions that require business attire and are encouraged to take advantage of it.

“The closet is located in Mrs. Noble’s classroom (C4) and is for all students to use. Students can use the clothes for job interviews, scholarship interviews, business dress for clubs or athletics, or any other time they may need professional clothing and not have access to it,” explains Ruda.  “We really want all students to be aware of the closet and feel comfortable borrowing the clothes!”

Donations are still being accepted for all genders and can be dropped off at the Seaman front office or brought to Mr. Ruda’s classroom, 925.