Upgrading North Topeka

Upgrading North Topeka

The city of Topeka has recently completed several upgrades, specifically in NOTO and the North Topeka area. NOTO is a small arts and entertainment district, located in North Topeka. It consists of various businesses and restaurants that are locally owned, such as The Norseman, Wheelbarrel, and Paper Junes. Accompanied by numerous bookstores, restaurants, and thrift shops, there is a small park on the edge of NOTO. The Seaman community receives benefits from this fairly new establishment, as the art students at Seaman High School are able to display their artwork in some of the art galleries. Some students also use the arts and entertainment district to take Prom pictures in a safe and close environment. 

While NOTO is flourishing, the more general North Topeka area is also seeing new developments open up! On Topeka Boulevard, there has been a new addition of a fast-food Mexican restaurant Chipotle, and plans for a similar restaurant, Qdoba, which will be located across the street, and is currently in the works. The Topeka Boulevard Wendy’s has also undergone a complete renovation, which included the destruction of the entire old building, and they restarted from the ground up. Further south on Topeka Boulevard, the drive-through coffee shop, Scooters, recently opened for business. As NOTO has begun a new string of stores, there have also been some newer places, northeast of NOTO  a convenient new stop, Casey’s, a newly established gas station has been built for drivers on Highway 24, as they approach or leave town. 

Continuing west from Casey’s, Starbucks, IHOP, Club Carwash, and Aldi’s have all made their way into North Topeka in the past few years. Other close areas, such as Topeka Boulevard and Hunter’s Ridge have experienced significant growth in recent years. Burger King, Stumpy’s, Beanheads, The Firehouse, and El Torito have enabled the North Topeka community to have a variety of options as they look to go out, grab groceries, or grab a bite to eat on Topeka Boulevard. Similarly, Hunter’s Ridge has welcomed the reinvented Vikings Grille and El Dorado. The bar and grill, Vikings Grille, is a popular gathering place, especially for large parties, sporting events, and after high school events. 

People north of the Kansas River, and in the outside rural areas have gladly welcomed these new businesses that have allowed for shorter travel distances for entertainment, and eating out. These new developments have helped maintain the small community atmosphere in North Topeka, while also providing teens and adults with a better variety of places to congregate. North Topeka is moving up in the world!