SHS Welcomes Shane

Since last year, Seaman High School has experienced a substantial staff turnover. Joining the staff this year are 15 new staff members, 12 of them being new teachers. 

Joecinta Shane is one of the new science teachers and this will be her 6th year teaching. Previously, she taught at Lawrence Gardner High School. Shane is excited to become a member of the Viking family. 

“I went to college hoping one day I could teach in this district,” said Shane.

Shane has a husband with six children between them. She also has a Yorkshire named Katie, a new German Shepherd puppy named Athena, and two labs named Zeus and Apollo. She loves to take her dogs hiking. 

Shane said, “My husband and I take our dogs up to the Potawatomi Reservation where we have family who own land up there, it is so beautiful up North and very peaceful! We also like Lake Perry too!” 

She also has a second degree black belt and loves to go to Starbucks. Her go-to order is a sugar free Vanilla iced coffee with a double shot of espresso. 

Not only does she love her coffee but she also loves to teach science. 

The thing that she loves most about teaching science is that it is project and experimental based meaning that she gets to teach and watch her students with hands-on skills. She is also really excited for Project Lead the Way (PLTW), a program that she took a class over during the summer, which focuses on hands-on projects that helps lead the students to a better understanding of the content. 

Shane expressed, “My students are awesome and they bring me joy every day by their hard work and dedication to learning science!” 

Shane is excited to be a Viking so make sure to give her a warm welcome!