Prom postponed

Amy Riley

Despite careful planning by the junior class STUCO representatives, prom was postponed until July 30, 2020.

On March 17, 2020, Kansas Governor Laura Kelly announced the closing of all K-12 schools for the remainder of the school year in response to the COVID-19 outbreak. The rest of the school year would be finished through online resources. Many students were upset by the news not just because of the closing of school but the cancellation of many important social events, including spring sports seasons, prom, graduation, and several senior activities.

Focusing on the cancellation or indefinite postponement of prom, many juniors and seniors were devastated by this news.

Senior Aurora Richardson commented, “I’m really upset because it’s mine and the seniors’ last prom and I made a lot of new friends this year and we were all going to go as a big group so now I don’t know what is going to happen.”

This feeling of uncertainty and sadness affected many juniors and seniors. In an effort to keep their spirits high many juniors and seniors have planned smaller ‘Prom’ gatherings to still get use out of their previously purchased dresses and suits.

“I hope they make it up somehow for seniors. If there is no prom, my date and I are going to dress up (since I already bought a dress with no returns allowed) and take pictures still and make the most of a bad situation,” said senior Ashley Sadler.

Although the circumstances are unfortunate some students are trying to understand other perspectives and make the best out of a bad situation.

Junior Elise Schreiner shared her feelings saying, “ I feel like I can not be as frustrated about prom because I still have another year to go but it is the seniors’ last prom and I’m sad for them because it is something everyone looks forward to. But it is an upsetting situation for both juniors and seniors. I think that if no one else plans another prom for the school, then my friends and I will dress nice, take some pictures and then go to eat somewhere nice.”

Although COVID-19 has changed plans for many students, teachers, and administrators it is a goal for many juniors and seniors to still make memories with their closest friends including Prom. Many things look different during this confusing time but many students are finding hope in the small things.