FBLA attends national conference

Chelcie Heitman

Seaman FBLA members pose for a group picture at the FBLA National Convention. 36 students travelled to Denver to attend the conference.

Members of Seaman High School’s FBLA chapter took a trip to Denver, Colorado from November 14-16 for the annual Regional Fall Leadership Conference (FLC). 36 students accompanied by three adult sponsors left bright and early at 4:30am on Thursday. 

Arriving Thursday afternoon, the group was left with the evening and most of Friday to do some sight-seeing before the opening ceremony Friday night. 

FBLA sponsor Louis DiLeonardo said “We went to downtown Denver and walked along the shops and restaurants there. I saw Union Station and the Money Museum, the Federal Reserve and learned about American currency and financial literacy.”

Freshman, Carly Bond experienced her first FLC this year with SHS.

She said, “I enjoyed getting to walk around with my friends and have the freedom of being on our own. We shopped on 16th street and visited the Capitol building.” 

During the FLC, students attend sessions about FBLA and business and learn about what competitions FBLA offers as well as other opportunities FBLA offers. DiLeonardo looks forward each trip to “Seeing a speaker that has a good message and learn about any thing that will help improve our chapter.” 

Having students participate in the FLC and representing for Kansas is always a benefit too.

According to DiLeonardo, this trip “allows students to become more interested in FBLA and competing, as well as help them have a better chance at success when it comes to competing in the spring.”

Although there are no competitions at the fall conferences, DiLeonardo says it is a great time to help students “understand what FBLA is and what it does and is a great opportunity for them to get involved while they can have a fun time traveling and seeing fun places.” 

The FLC is not only a beneficial experience for students, but for advisers as well. Some SHS FBLA members are looking into competing in 3D animation and mobile application design at this years competitions. DiLeonardo was able to meet an advisor from Arizona who gave DiLeonardo advice about the best software to use for the 3D animation and mobile application competitions. 

Additionally, while at a session Bond learned about “how to compete to get a better chance of going to Nationals and learned about how checking the state rubric and then to change the project to fit the national rubric if going to the national competition.”

Bond wanted to come on the trip to make more connections with the FBLA group in Seaman. She plans on competing this year in either Intro to Business with a partner or an individual test.

DiLeonardo enjoyed seeing the students reactions and hearing from them what they learned and seeing their excitement about FBLA. After this year’s Fall Leadership Conference, Bond is excited to continue in FBLA, compete for a Nationals spot and go back next year to the FLC.