Vikings edge out win against Manhattan

On Tuesday, September 24th 2019, Seaman High School boys soccer team took on the opponent of Manhattan High School, at Seaman’s home field.

Prior to the varsity match, there was a ribbon cutting ceremony for the official opening of the updated Seaman Soccer Complex with turf grass. Although the team has played several games already on the turf as well as practicing, the official opening was a special moment.

Board members and parents of students who advocated to get the turf put in, gathered around a blue ribbon held by a group of the Seaman High School cheerleaders. With giant scissors in hand, the ribbon was cut and the field was officially open.

As for the game, the boys knew it was going to be a tough match. Both teams came out  fired up and ready to play. The energy was up from the start and the crowd could tell both teams wanted the win. Given the Vikings had only beaten Manhattan one other time in the rivalry’s history, they were obviously going to have to work for a goal, but also work to keep a goal from being made on them. 

The Indians had shots on goal, but Justin McCabe Seaman’s goalkeeper, was able to protect the goal at all costs, not letting a single ball into the net. The Vikings also had many shots on goal with chances to score, but weren’t able to finish them. 

By half time the score was 0-0. Both teams were eager to get a goal. Although there were no points on the scoreboard, the energy did not drop. As the clock started to tick down, the time to score started slimming and slimming. By the end of the second half, the score was 0-0. 

To solve a tie, the game goes into overtime, 10 minutes for one team to score. If no one scores then there is another 10 minutes added to the game. After two overtimes, the game would go into a penalty kick shootout. 

It was the first 10 minutes of overtime, and the mood was intense. The crowd could feel how bad each team wanted to win, but also how easily it could be either team. 

Senior, Skyler Price said as the overtime started “We were actually really confident, in the huddle we were going to win this game, in the first half of overtime” which the team ended up scoring in the first half, 6 minutes in. 

Quickly Manhattan had a chance to score, but like the whole game, was not able to finish through the back of the net. Suddenly, it was the Vikings taking over. They quickly made several passes, getting the ball to their forward Cadin “Bear” Worcester. With the ball at his feet, he dribbled to the Indians goal and placed the ball right past the goalie, into the goal! Goal! Seaman scored on Manhattan, winning the game. 

“When Bear scored my first thought was did we even score because I couldn’t see it, my second thought was that’s the second overtime win this year. I was excited we won so we ran to the student section to celebrate with the fans,” stated Price. 

The Vikings and Indians fought a long and hard, eventually Seaman winning 1-0 over Manhattan. For the second time in history, according to Seaman High School Principal, Mike Monaghan, Seaman beat Manhattan.