Seaman Clipper

Filed under SPORTS

Lady Vikes shine at KU relays

Each spring, the trackletes look forward to improving their performances for the largest track meet in Kansas, the State Championships. But, for some hard-working student-athletes, they have the opportunity to experience a meet that is arguably the toughest competition they will see all year: Kansas Relays. The track coaches submit several scores to the meet for athletes to try and qualify. The Girl’s Track team was pleased with the picks of some of their athletes.

Megan Skoch, senior, was one of a few Lady Vikes who qualified for the meet. As a veteran of the relays, she was excited to see the action of the whole event once again.

“I qualified last year and my times were significantly better coming into this year’s relays,” Skoch said.

Competing in the 100-meter and 200-meter sprints, she had a very well-represented showing at the meet for the Vikes, as she went on to PR this season.

“I PR’d for this season at KU which was good for me because I’ve been stuck in a funk and I finally got out of it!” Skoch exclaimed.

Heading into the last few meets of her senior year, Skoch will not wrap up her track career here. She signed with the University of Saint Mary’s in Leavenworth, Kansas to sprint in college.

“I met with my college coach at the meet and I was super excited because he gave me a lot of tips and I’m grateful to have a coach who is willing to push me to be the best that I can be.”

Konlynn Druse, junior, is a second year track participant who competes in the open 400-meter race and is also a consistent member of the Vike’s 4×4 relay team; however, Druse truly stands out in her field event, throwing the javelin.

Druse, coming off a high in her state 2018 appearance of a 5th place overall finish, was surprised to learn she qualified for the meet.

“I was not expecting to qualify for KU Relays. It was an honor to go because only the best of the best get to go,” Druse said.

Druse threw a 127’7” at the Topeka High Invitational to qualify for the meet. Yet, at the meet she faced some difficulties and came in 26th overall. Druse still stays thankful for the opportunity and the chance to compete against the challenging competition.

“I am taking this meet as a motivation meet. I am working extra hard for the rest of the season,” said Druse.

The two girls were just few of the Seaman trackletes who qualified for the event and are also some of the stand-out performers from the team. They will next compete at the Seaman Relays and look for a strong finish to the spring regular season as state approaches quickly.