Seaman Clipper

Filed under NEWS

Students responsible for level of school spirit

Senior Megan Skoch and Sophomore JahnAsia Anderson show off their future nursing careers. Skoch and Anderson dressed up for the spirit day

Senior Megan Skoch and Sophomore JahnAsia Anderson show off their future nursing careers. Skoch and Anderson dressed up for the spirit day "When I Grow Up."

Through all seasons of the year, our school spirit has never failed to make an appearance at all sorts of events. Whether is a play-off football game or Battle of the Bands; students rally together to create memories of the night. However, I see a problem with spirit this year. Students show up to events, yet don’t bring life or energy. Incentives have been offered, but no one has taken the bait.

Not only does our spirit disappear at sporting events, but all school functions have been lacking focus. Students are talking over speakers at assemblies, fundraisers are losing interest, and the attendance at dances is decreasing. No one can quite pinpoint the reason for the lack of spirit, but I think that the only culprit is ourselves. We are the ones who control the attitude of the school.

This all starts with how everyone thinks of our school spirit: student sections. I may not be in every student section, but I can see the lack of focus into the event. Several students are on their phones or not watching the game. This is all acceptable too, as long as you’re not the one complaining about our spirit at these events. Another example is during assemblies. Students are lacking respect by blatantly talking over the speakers and hosts. Since when did our school not show respect?

The student body is not the only one to blame here either. On several occasions, a game day will come around yet no one knows what to wear in the student section? This is not the Spirit Club’s fault because it relies on students to decide what the themes are; Spirit Club just relays the message. However, knowing the theme ahead of time allows more students to participate which increases our school spirit.

Our school still rallies our spirit on some occasions. Big events such as the homecoming football game and dance were bursting at the seams of Viking pride. But in my opinion, this should be for all events – not just a few per semester. I think that we should strive towards making all events memorable for ourselves.

We have a chance to bounce back with the upcoming spirit week for Snowball. Students should use this opportunity to create an ecstatic atmosphere leading up to the big game and the dance.

I know that this is not a permanent problem for us Vikings, but we are just in a slump – and we have to find out way out of it.