Seaman Clipper

Campus gun laws: Controversy or common sense?

Back to Article
Back to Article

Concealed carry and teachers having guns in school has been a major topic of conversation. This map shows which states allow guns in schools

Jackson Cobb, Staff Writer

During a debate among Kansas lawmakers this past February, the concealed carry age was lowered from 21 to 18. This has been a major topic of discussion, because of all of the school shootings that have been occuring. According to an article in The Kansas City Star, Kansas representatives felt that since 18-year-olds are considered adults in Kansas and can serve in the military, they should be allowed to carry a gun. Even with the age being officially lowered, 18-21 year olds have to obtain a special permit to participate in concealed carry. Along with this 18-year-olds are not legally able to purchase a handgun until age 21 which conflicts with the new concealed carry age.

This change has been a major topic amongst gun control advocates, especially with the all of the recent school shootings. The rising concern of some students who wished to be kept unnamed believe that this new law will only make schools more unsafe.  While concealed carry is still banned within high schools, college students can obtain a permit to carry a gun on campus with them. Wichita State University tried to prohibit the use of concealed carry on their campus, but legislature voted against universities being able to ban concealed carry.

Another topic related to gun control and safety is the arming of teachers and other school staff members. According to the March 28 Topeka Capital Journal, Kansas legislature has been discussing a House Bill, 2789, that would require at least one staff member within the school building to be in possession of a firearm. Along with this if a school district does not comply with the bill and an incident was to occur, the school district can be sued for negligence. Another part of the bill that is not as well known is that if staff members have a concealed carry license, they must be allowed to bring their firearm on school property. Broadcast teacher, Louis DiLeonardo gave his opinion on this bill.

“I don’t know what the solution is, but I feel that if people think everyone at school should have guns, I think that would be counterproductive with our progressive society,” Dileonardo said.