International Thespian Troupe students make history at National Thespian Festival in Wichita

More stories from Avery Bocquin

For the first time in Viking history, a group of SHS International Thespian Troupe students earned a superior ranking at the State Thespian Festival in Wichita, qualifying them to advance and compete at the National Thespian Festival this summer.

From June 25 to June 30, seven theater students are hoping to be competing at the national level. Staying at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, Kyle Kleiner, Lily Gallardo, Reagan Propps, Sage Hernandez, Hayden Wells, Chris Richardson, and Mason Clark will spend a week preparing for their performance which they will perform in front of a panel of judges.

Over winter break, the seven students competed at State in a group-acting event where the group put on a five minute performance in hopes of obtaining a score of 18 to 20 to qualify for nationals. Out of all the troupes competing at State, only two were chosen from the group acting category Seaman included.

In the several months leading up to State, the group put massive dedication and effort into practicing their scene daily, meeting with Mrs. Murphy once a week to perfect every detail.

After the students themselves selected a scene and cut it down to fit the time constraint, they put countless hours of their time into rehearsing, memorizing, and improving their scene.

If the students are able to attend nationals, they will again perform for a group of judges in hopes of earning a superior rating, which would make them national champions.

Mrs. Katie Murphy explained  “What’s cool about this, as opposed to other national [competitions], is that not only do they get to compete, but they get to see a show every night from a high school that’s been selected to perform, so it’s the best shows in the country at the high school level.”

“They also get to take workshops with professionals working in the industry in whatever they want. There’s everything from playwriting, directing, different types of acting, different types of singing. Whatever they would be interested in they can take workshops in, all week long,” Mrs. Murphy added.

Unfortunately, the expenses for attending nationals have proven to be costly , nearly $800 per student, and will require as much help as possible. The theater department has already fund-raised with the Haunted Trails, Minute-to-Win-It donation at the fall play, and variety show. They plan to continue raising money at the spring play, with a bake sale, and with Break-a-Leg messages to the spring play cast that will be sold during the weeks leading up to the play.

“If anybody can come to our shows and support our fundraisers that would be awesome. We would love to give these kids an opportunity to go and do this,” said Murphy.