Sophomore uses skills to enhance freshmen awards assembly

BUSY BOY Sophomore Collin Underwood poses with the trophies he made. He would spend over 10 hours on them.

Where sparks fly and machines run, sophomore Collin Underwood is hard at work, working on a project for others.

Underwood was in need of a fine arts credit when the idea came to him to try and do an independent study under art teacher, Mr. Leduc.

With the help of his counselors and Mr. Leduc he was able to take an independent study course and use it to his strengths.

Underwood has enjoyed taking metals since 9th grade because, “It’s better than sitting in a chair. You get to use your hands and not listen to a teacher lecture.”

Underwood was approached by freshman english teacher, Mr. Wiens, who knew “Collin is a very hard working young man and this project was a unique way for him to express himself”  about the making of three different trophies for the freshman center Film Festival.

The film festival has been held for 7 years and the three different categories are best cinematography, best sound and best overall. Accepting the project, Underwood took to his paper for the designs that are all to his credit.  Once upon approval by the teachers, he redrew the design on the computer aided drawing system, CAD. Once the design was placed on CAD, it went to the plasmacam program where the design is transmitted to the CNC plasma cutter machine. Once ready to go, the machine cuts the design out into the metal. To top it all off Underwood sandblasted and grinded the metal all out. The metal was bent to its shape and clear coated. All of Underwood’s 10 hours of hard work will pay off in recognition.