NCAA putting too many regulations on athletes

The controversy over whether college athletes should be paid is an ongoing debate. However, I think there is a reasonable solution that could solve many of the NCAA’s problems.

I believe student athletes on scholarship should not be paid directly by the university as most are already receiving a free education, room and board, and access to quality facilities and trainers.

That being said, the NCAA should allow student athletes to receive endorsement deals.

This not only benefits the student athlete, but the school as well.

More high school athletes will choose college if they know they can possibly make extra money through deals with companies. There also might be an uptake in less college athletes leaving after only a year or two to pursue professional sports.

One could argue this would take the student out of student athlete. I think the endorsements could actually help with classroom focus and work ethic as these players would not have to worry about the lack of money for food or the possible poverty their family could be living in.

Shabazz Napier, a star on the 2014 UCONN men’s basketball team, said during his time in college, “There are hungry nights that I go to bed and I’m starving.”

There have also been instances where college athletes want to pursue careers outside of their sport. The NCAA has made it very difficult as oftentimes it forces people to make a decision to pick the sport or the career.

For example, there are two former UNLV women’s basketball players that wanted to pursue a profession in music while at UNLV. However, due to NCAA restrictions, the two had to choose between continuing their basketball at UNLV or making music.

This is extremely unfair, and the NCAA should not be able to give that type of ultimatum.

These athletes make universities a ridiculous amount of money, so it seems odd to me that they themselves cannot benefit from their success, financially, in college.

If this continues, there could be a steady increase in high school athletes, especially basketball players, opting to skip college altogether.

Hopefully the NCAA evolves to the new modern age, and realizes it needs to change certain restrictions and rules on student athletes.

The national exposure these players are receiving are at an all-time high, and the NCAA would be remiss to not create more reasonable regulations.